Monday, November 7, 2011

Interviews!

Tonight we interviewed potential ambassadors for NWMSU.  It was an absolute ball!  It is great to see all the students that are enthusiastic and passionate about Northwest!  I look forward to working with some of them this coming spring!

<><> <><> <><>
Kasha, Bryce, & Shelby getting their "glasses" on!

I started ambassadors this summer so I haven’t been doing it for very long, and I can vividly remember being in the applicants’ shoes because I had been there two times and I failed.   I became an ambassador by chance and connections.    I love doing it and I think I’m pretty decent at it, but nonetheless it hangs over my head that I failed and I shouldn’t be there.  I assume I had some deficit in my answers during my interviews and I hope I have overcome that weakness.

As a person who can speak volumes for the transformative power of student employment, it killed me to think about turning away applicants that potentially would be great ambassadors if given the chance.   I look at my own jobs on-campus and I think of how they transformed me.  I grew into a more confident person with better communication and problem-solving skills.  I think that student employment has the potential to do that for any student.  I think that is the problem with interviews, they give great impressions, but you miss out on the people that would grow into the position and make it their own.

Interviews can sometimes miss the hard worker or the determined candidate that would make a great employee.  This is not to be said that interviews don’t find good candidates too, but they miss out on some excellent ones.
For ambassadors, interviews are probably a great way to determine who will be good because those are the skills that you will need on tour.  Interviews have their place such as the case of ambassadors, but I’m not sure that so much weight should be put on them.  

Nonetheless, I am glad that I got the opportunity to be an ambassador and I love sharing my passion and knowledge with prospective students.

No comments:

Post a Comment