Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Last Days...

My last full day in Birmingham was great. Birmingham hosted a student leadership conference in hopes to get students involved at their respective colleges.We had Usman Ali, the Vice President of Nation Union of Students in the United Kingdom.He had quite an inspirational story about how hard work and determination and you can achieve anything.Stuart talked about the Student Academic Partners scheme at BCU and Paul had the students work on potential projects for their own colleges. I talked about Student Employment as a route for engagement and involvement at the Univeristy and the benefits getting jobs and being engaged at the university. It was really funny watching the crowd’s reaction to my speech.During most of my visit, no one had batted an eye at my accent. Birmingham is so multi-cultural that accents weren’t that rare, but these students apparently had not heard that many Americans speak.You could tell by the sporadic giggling and the delayed reaction to my words that the audience was listening to how I said something not actually what I said. Jokes did not work because the laughter was delayed.It was a little wierd getting all that attention, but I guess that is how the British feel when they visit Northwest Missouri


Usman and I at the conference

I felt like we made an impact that day with those students.We really sparked their interest to take charge of their education and future by getting involved.

After the day, we celebrated at the local pub and then hit up the German Christmas Market for my last night. For anyone’s future reference, German beer tastes delicious and if you are looking at woven hats at what looks like an authentic German stand, they still could have been made in Nepal. Anyways, the German market was fun!We stood around and had some brauts and I was introduced to some mini pancakes that were absolutely delicious!

It was a really fun night. I got to know Usman a little more and I liked hanging out with Luke, Luke, Stuart, Paul, Cully, and Gemma!It was just nice and really sad to see them all go but the night ended before I knew it.



Cully and Paul at the Hare after the conference


Luke, Stuart, and Luke at the German Market


Paul and Gemma at the German Market


Stuart and Luke at my apartment building
 
The next day, I had to get up bright and early to catch the plane ride back because I was flying out of London. Stuart drove me and once again he showed his aptitude for asking probing questions. It is truly strange how he can literally cut to down to the heart of the issue. Stuart then offered me fantastic opportunities for the future. The details aren’t worked out, but I figure I will be visiting Birmingham again.

It was sad saying goodbye to Stuart. It all started for me by participating on a student panel. With a few conversations and a trip over the pond, I had made new friends and now I was saying goodbye. I would talk about the trip home, but to be honest, besides reuniting with the family, nothing compares to the trip itself. I gained confidence, I gained new perspectives, I gained reflection, and most of all I gained new friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment